Home   Blog   Contact
With a yacht captured in ice

Whilst making plans a voyage path a long way north, you can't simply do as you want, principally you need to know whatís possible in the given time frame. In the warmth of my home with my maps, i hadnít even considered the opportunity that we'd not be able to get to greenland's scoresby sund at the stop of june. In the arctic pilot it definitely states that the primary deliver might also enter scoresby sund on the cease of july and the last by using the give up of august on the present day, but i had planned to read it all through the voyage, once i had sufficient time to do so.

Consequently, it appeared to be a quite excellent idea when one member of the crew, radim (a participant in several preceding tough voyages) called me in mid-may additionally to enroll in us in scoresby sund. However as it started to become a truth, i started to browse servers approximately the kingdom of the ice alongside the japanese seashores of greenland and discovered that everything become still absolutely frozen. Are we crusing into impenetrable ice? I referred to as radim and introduced our nearly zero possibilities of landing in scoresby sunda. But i additionally advised him weíd supply it a attempt. As a piece of a joke, i suggested him to attempt to order a helicopter and land on the stop of the ice discipline. We might watch for him and convey him on board. I told him to borrow a rifle, simply in case polar bears were given there before us. I did not anticipate radim to keep in mind such nonsense. Radim, however, is a person of action and began locating all of the vital data. He located that no one might convey him to the ice barrier, but someone might lend him a rifle. So we reached an settlement. We would attempt to attain scoresby sund, even though it probable wouldnít paintings, and radim would fly there and no longer get mad at us if we didnít make it. Before we left the island of jan mayen, we asked a map on the weather station of the present day state of the ice fields around greenland. We located out that they have been a hundred and twenty miles far into the sea, and it became clean that they could no longer all at once dissolve by way of themselves. We referred to as radim to inform him to live there. However radim knew that sund was absolutely frozen and had already modified the plan. He had determined to hire a dog sled in greenland for some days. Of route with a rifle to defend towards bears. And so he flew to greenland. We decided no longer to change plan and headed from the west coast of jan mayen to the greenland ice fields. It become about 150 miles without delay west. And considering there was a southwesterly wind which means we couldnít sail inside the different path, we went there. I studied the whole lot i may want to find on ice navigation, and located that, with the utmost warning, you can only sail while there's sea ice insurance of as much as forty% and that once the wind path modifications, the ice field can be completely closed off inside an hour. At 7am on the second day of the voyage, we encountered our first small floating ice floe. About 130 miles from scoresby sund. It become foggy with a moderate wind, and we endured to sail with light assistance from the motor to the still safely sparse ice discipline.

ADS HERE

ADS2